How to use keep-alive-together / hara-kiri-together

From: H. S. Teoh
Subject: How to use keep-alive-together / hara-kiri-together
Date: Tue, 7 Apr 2015 13:26:53 -0700

Hi All,

I have a ScoreMarks context (basically, something to collect score
marks, tempo changes, etc.) placed above a StaffGroup, that I want to
elide when the StaffGroup is elided by \removeEmptyStaves. How do I do
this?

I've tried searching online and found references to keep-alive-together
and hara-kiri-together, but couldn't find any examples of how to
actually use these properties. The docs are rather scanty and I didn't
find anything helpful in the list archives except for Kieran's post
regarding essentially the same question, but there was no response:

http://lilypond.1069038.n5.nabble.com/keep-alive-together-or-hara-kiri-together-to-kill-a-Marks-context-td154704.html

Any clues?

Do not reason with the unreasonable; you lose by definition.