Re: Implementation of \tuplet allow both incorrect and correct musical e

From: Ralph D. Jeffords
Subject: Re: Implementation of \tuplet allow both incorrect and correct musical expressions
Date: Thu, 26 Mar 2015 15:59:03 -0400

Peter, My "strange" example of tuplets using neither "Math Rule" nor "Nearness Rule" will be clarified if  I show the context. Here is that context from a part of the piece I wrote for solo bassoon:

\version "2.18.2"
\language "english"
\score {
\relative c' {
\partial 4
\clef "bass"
\key af \major

 c,,8(  { \tuplet 5/2 { g'16 c ef g c) } }

   ef4\fermata
   \tuplet 3/2 { df8 ef df }
   \tuplet 3/2 { c df c }
   \afterGrace bf4 \startTrillSpan { a32 bf \stopTrillSpan }

   af,8-.[ c'-.
   bf-. g,-.]
   f-.[ af'-.
   g-. ef,-.]

   df8( { \tuplet 7/2 { f16 bf  df f  bf  df f~) } }
   f4~\fermata
   \tuplet 3/2 { f8 ef( f }
   \tuplet 3/2 { g16[ af g } f16 g])

} %relative
\layout { }
\midi {  }
} %score

My point is that in this context,  the 5/2 and 7/2 tuplets seem more elegant  than if you followed the "Math Rule" using 5/4 and 7/4, and that the player would not be confused when playing the score.  These two tuplets are the only ones in this section and the triple beams (required by "Math Rule") look rather messy by comparison. Even messier is the "Nearness Rule" giving 7/8 for the septuplet with a quaduple beam.

In fact, a music jock college friend at the time (36 years ago) recopied my "chicken scratches" of the autograph and used precisely the 5/2 and 7/2 notation for the quintuplet and septuplet---I didn't even notice when I was engraving the LilyPond version from his hand-written score. It was only later that I realized that the 5/2 and 7/2 tuplets did not follow the "Math Rule."  Food for thought.