Re: How do I extract individual voices from chords

From: Pierre Perol-Schneider
Subject: Re: How do I extract individual voices from chords
Date: Sun, 22 Mar 2015 00:23:38 +0100

\version "2.18.2"

Soprano = { g'8 a' g' a' g' a' c' d' }
Alto = { e'8 f' g' a' g' a' e' f' }
Baritone = { c'8 d' e' f' g' a' g' a' }

\new Voice {
  \override NoteHead.X-offset = #0
  <<
    { \Soprano }
    { \Alto }
    { \Baritone }

}

Pierre

Hi Kaj,

Your code's not compiling.
Anyway, I think:

\override NoteHead.X-offset = #0

is what you're looking for.

Cheers,

Pierre

Hello everybody,

I have a piece of music for three choir voices (Soprano Alto Baritone). It is written almost solely as chords with one, two or three voices. With one voice, everybody is singing that one, with two the sopranos sing the "top" notes and the others sing the lower voice. My wish is to produce a MIDI output for each one of the three voices, for educational purposes, and possibly also a part score for each of them. But how do I do this at best?

I have tried to separate the three manually by means of regular expressions in emacs. You could possibly do so also with regular expressions in Frescobaldi, but I find emacs easier to use. The whole task is nevertheless a wee cumbersome. Moreover with this method you have to take care of two different versions of the music code, one based on chords, and one on separate voices, and this causes maintenance issues.

My first thought was that the separated version with three different voices could be sufficient, but I soon realized that, when the pitch from two voices are equal, both are printed side by side. This is of course quite normal and desirable, but in my special case I would suppress that behaviour. When the pitch and duration from two different voices are the same, only one should be printed. Is there any workaround?

Or: How do I extract the first, second and third voice from the chord score to use as input to the midi?

A simplified example illustrating the case:

\version "2.18.2"

% NB. These \layout items are only for the positioning of the headings in the example
\layout {
\override Score.RehearsalMark #'self-alignment-X = #LEFT
\override Score.RehearsalMark #'Y-offset = #4
\override
}

All = { <c' e' g'>8 <d' f' a'> <e' g'> <f' a'>
g'8 a'<g' e' c'> <a' f' d'>
}
Soprano = { g'8 a' g' a' g' a' c' d' }
Alto = { e'8 f' g' a' g' a' e' f' }
Baritone = { c'8 d' e' f' g' a' g' a' }

% First score is to illustrate the chord version
\score {
\new Staff {
\mark "This is what I want..."
\new Voice {
\All
\layout {}
}

% Second score illustrates the three voices separated
\score {
\new Staff {
\mark "...but I get this."
\new Voice {