Re: Dynamics context vs. dynamics in staff

From: Kieren MacMillan
Subject: Re: Dynamics context vs. dynamics in staff
Date: Wed, 18 Mar 2015 09:18:34 -0400

Hi Joram,

> The problem is that if I override the Y-offset of a DynamicText, the
> skyline changes and the other dynamics of this line are moved, too.
> I suppose I should use the extra-offest in most cases. Do you agree?

Often, I will use a combination of all three.

1. I will use functions like

ignoreH =
#(define-music-function (parser location item) (symbol-list-or-music?)
  #{ \tweak #'horizontal-skylines #f
     \tweak #'extra-spacing-width #empty-interval
     #item #})
ignoreV =
#(define-music-function (parser location item) (symbol-list-or-music?)
  #{ \tweak #'vertical-skylines #f
     \tweak #'extra-spacing-height #empty-interval
     #item #})
ignore =
#(define-music-function (parser location item) (symbol-list-or-music?)
  #{ \tweak #'vertical-skylines #f
     \tweak #'horizontal-skylines #f
     \tweak #'extra-spacing-width #empty-interval
     \tweak #'extra-spacing-height #empty-interval
     #item #})

to have the spacing engine ignore a grob.

2. I’ll override the X- or Y-offset of a DynamicText.

3. As a last resort, I’ll use extra-offset.

I use the \editionEngraver
(https://github.com/openlilylib/openlilylib/tree/master/editorial-tools/edition-engraver)
 to keep all of these — and most other tweaks — outside my content layer.

Hope this helps!
Kieren.

Kieren MacMillan, composer
www:  <http://www.kierenmacmillan.info>