Dynamics context vs. dynamics in staff

From: Noeck
Subject: Dynamics context vs. dynamics in staff
Date: Tue, 17 Mar 2015 11:32:35 +0100

Hi,

I am coming back to this often discussed problem in order to decide on a
working solution for my use case:

I want to have dynamics properly printed between the two staffs of a
piano staff.

My *experience* is (I hope this table is legible)

method    Pro                          Con
--------  ---------------------------  -----------------------------
Dynamics  centered between staffs      sometimes pushes staffs
context   on one line (vert. aligned)    too far apart
                                       centering can be spoiled by
                                         skyline at another place

dynamics  can be broken                no obvious way to center it
in Staff  can even be moved inside       (padding is not centering
            the staff/slurs              because of variable distances)
          can be aligned vertically    no default vert. alignment
            on request (connected)

>From that I draw the *conclusion* that it is best to use both:
A Dynamics context usually as it is centered by default. Whenever there
are problems (bad centering, too strong connection between unrelated
dynamics, staves being pushed apart), I put the dynamic mark in the
lower voice of the upper staff. In addition I have to move some dynamics
in both contexts by hand sometimes.
To improve midi quality, I add invisible dynamics to all other voices if
I add it to one voice.

Is that a good working solution? What do you do for piano music?

Thanks for your advice,
Joram