Re: Chord names broken since 2.16

From: Kieren MacMillan
Subject: Re: Chord names broken since 2.16
Date: Mon, 16 Mar 2015 10:18:52 -0400

Hi all,

> add9 is different from sus2, as add11 is different from sus4

Really? In the musical theatre world, "add9” rarely (if ever) appears; the
preferred notation is “add2” (which, as a side benefit, makes sight reading
things like “C9” even faster and less error-prone).

> Nothing I ever saw displayed Cadd6add9

+1

I have started to write things like “add6,9” for multi-adds.

> The best solution is probably to have different defaults, but in any way: if
> chords are intented musically different, they should display in different
> ways…

**All other things being equal**, I would concur. However, I’ve found (through
much trial and error, in both jazz and musical theatre pit orchestra contexts)
that the chord symbols should always err on the side of sight-readable if the
“theoretically correct” version requires any second thought.

Cheers,
Kieren.

Kieren MacMillan, composer
www:  <http://www.kierenmacmillan.info>