Re: EB Garamond font-series

From: Alexander Kobel
Subject: Re: EB Garamond font-series
Date: Mon, 09 Feb 2015 13:28:51 +0100

On 2015-02-09 11:56, Simon Albrecht wrote:
Hello everybody,

then it seems I have been deceived by the fact that there is a separate
file for each bold, italic and bold italic in the .zip provided via the
download link I sent along. Thanks for the information.

Huh? The EB...-0.016.zip on Bitbucket? I see neither "bold" nor "bold italic" mentioned there?

Still, I wonder: I tried it out even in leafpad (ubuntu's simple text
editor) and it recognised the bold series.

In my experience, the less professional the application, the more likely that it offers fake bold and fake italic "by accident". Even the most simple editors can have them. AFAIU, the easy-to-use and ready-to-deploy frameworks for text rendering (like Gtk and Qt widgets, which are used by many applications shipped with Ubuntu/Gnome and KDE) have the fake functionality built-in into the underlying library, and offering it is no additional effort to the application programmer at all. No need to grey out the bold button, too, and no complaints by users who report that "bold doesn't work". I guess that applications like LilyPond, {Xe,Lua}LaTex or Scribus indeed jump through a fair number of hoops to /avoid/ those easy-to-use high-level libraries and have direct access to the fonts and font features.

On a side note: In LibreOffice, if you use the "Format > Character" dialog, a message is shown if a font style is only simulated, and you can select additional weights or variants for fonts that offer them (e.g. Linux Libertine with Regular, Semibold and Bold). It makes sense that no fake bolds do not seem to be offered for fonts whose name contains "black", "bold" or "heavy"; for "medium", only a fake "Bold Italic" variant is suggested. On the other hand, I'm not aware of a way to specify OpenType Features like "use only common ligatures" or "use lining figures" for a font, in contrast to what is possible with fontspec for {Xe,Lua}LaTeX.

Maybe I'd personally accept
small aesthetical drawbacks in the bold typeface (which isn't used much
anyway) in order to enjoy the IMO absolutely ravishing medium series...
or just use a medium title, which is also interesting for a change, if
also not as convincing as bold.

One additional warning about such fonts; less important with sheet music, probably, but more so with typical LibreOffice documents: If at some point in time (or in the exhaustive font collection of a publishing and printing company) a bold variant of the font exists, it will be used in the place of your fake bold. And it will have a different metric and spacing than the fake, meaning that its better looks can destroy your page layout completely!

Best,
Alexander