Re: musicxml2ly

From: Richard Shann
Subject: Re: musicxml2ly
Date: Sat, 07 Feb 2015 09:36:39 +0000

On Sat, 2015-02-07 at 10:35 +0100, Jan-Peter Voigt wrote:
> Hi Richard,
>
> I installed Denemo on my ubuntu workstation and it did import the
> xml-file - even with the wrong work-information. The exported lilypond
> file seems to be fine for me, except the lyrics are missing?

yes, lyrics are not done (you can paste lyrics into Denemo anyway, so I
haven't been motivated to do it).

> I will have a deeper look at it.

Things to watch out for:
if it is doing repeats it will likely not use the nice \repeat volta 2
{} \alternative {} etc syntax but more primitive LilyPond constructs.
Denemo itself can generate the nicer LilyPond syntax when you enter
music by hand, but it would be tricky to generate that from musicXML.
Change of time signatures, anacrusis - these may need tidying up
(re-barring etc).
Missing constructs (ottava for instance).
In the end, Denemo succeeded here because it is being far less
ambitious, it is primarily aiming to save you having to type all the
notes and their durations again.

Richard