Re: lengthening broken ties

From: David Nalesnik
Subject: Re: lengthening broken ties
Date: Wed, 4 Feb 2015 07:45:32 -0600

Hi Werner,

On Wed, Feb 4, 2015 at 12:14 AM, Werner LEMBERG <address@hidden> wrote:

> Don't know.  In any case, I think the goal should be to make this
> work with an override of 'minimum-length, rather than setting
> 'minimum-length though 'after-line-breaking.

The very problem is that minimum-length gives the distance between
*note heads*, which is completely unusable IMHO.  If I increase
minimum-length globally to fix the broken tie case, the horizontal
size of all other ties is *far* too large.  Or do you mean something
different?

In the case of a broken tie, minimum-length would give the distance relative to a NonMusicalPaperColumn on one side.

If the minimum-length property were accessible later on in the typesetting process, you'd be able to do something like

[\once] \alterBroken minimum-length #'(1 . 5) Tie

or

[\once] \offset minimum-length #'(0 . 4) Tie

Both of these commands would address the pieces independently.

\alterBroken and \offset  act directly as overrides/tweaks of 'minimum-length, rather than doing their work within 'after-line-breaking as your example does.  Perhaps it will never be possible to go through 'after-line-breaking, which may always  be too late.

--David