Re: sus7 chords in \chordmode

From: Johan Vromans
Subject: Re: sus7 chords in \chordmode
Date: Mon, 26 Jan 2015 08:32:55 +0100

On Sun, 25 Jan 2015 19:18:52 -0600
Tim McNamara <address@hidden> wrote:

> I have repeatedly run into difficulties getting Lilypond to properly
> render sus7 chord names in \chordmode.  It comes up with silly things
> like "G7sus4 3” and the like.  What is the correct syntax to get a simple
> “Gsus7” to print?

To not answer your question: I would not use Gsus7 since it is ambiguous.
Gsus4 (or Gsus) has a suspended 4th, Gsus2 has a suspended 2nd, so Gsus7
makes you think that the 7th is suspended -- which is not the case.

G7sus (or G7sus4) is the unambiguous way to express this chord.

See e.g. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suspended_chord .
Chapter 8 of "Standardized Chord Symbol Notation" by Carl Brandt & Clinton
Roemer.

Of course, as other contributors have pointed out you can have it the way
you want.

-- Johan