Re: Understanding Lilypond

From: Richard Shann
Subject: Re: Understanding Lilypond
Date: Sat, 17 Jan 2015 13:13:26 +0000

On Sat, 2015-01-17 at 13:37 +0100, Urs Liska wrote:
> Concretely I see the problem in a sequence of related issues:
>
> - Scheme itself *is* difficult to get into

actually, Scheme syntax is incredibly simple - Scheme expressions are
lists (a b c) with the first element being the procedure and the
subsequent ones the parameters. So if you come across (if a b) you look
up the procedure "if" in the documentation, rather than having to learn
a bunch of keywords (if, case, else ...) which have special syntax
peculiar to them.

> - There are so many Scheme dialects,

the only one relevant to LilyPond is the guile-1.8 interpreter. In
Denemo we have moved on to guile-2.0 but I haven't come across other
interpreters for Scheme, though I've noticed them mentioned in the Guile
documentation.

HTH

Richard