Re: arpeggioArrowUp

From: tisimst
Subject: Re: arpeggioArrowUp
Date: Wed, 14 Jan 2015 09:24:48 -0700 (MST)

Alistair Millar wrote
> I hope this is enough. Thanks
>
> \version "2.18.2"
>
> \language "english"
>
> \relative c'
>
> {
>   \clef "treble"
>   \time 4/4
>   \key g \major
>

> <g b d g>
> 4\arpeggio
>
> <g b d g>
> 4\arpeggioArrowUp
>
>   \bar "|."
>
> }

Alistair,

It does work, just not in the way you (or I) think it should. Here's an
example of how you use it:

{ \arpeggioArrowUp <c e g c'>\arpeggio }

Does that help? In words, you need both, putting the \arpeggioArrow[Up/Down]
PRIOR to the music where the actual arpeggio is.

Regards,
Abraham

P.S. I'm with Alistair, though. Is there any reason \arpeggioArrow[Up/Down]
isn't designed to work by itself rather than requiring another explicit
\arpeggio? I don't know. Looking at the internals, \arpeggioArrow[Up/Down]
are just a couple of overrides, so I don't know why it couldn't be wrapped
in a function like:

arpeggioUp = #(define-music-function (parser location music) (ly:music?)
  #{
    \arpeggioArrowUp $music\arpeggio
  #})

But for some reason, this code isn't working. Any ideas of what I'm missing,
anyone? If it worked, it would be then as easy as:

\arpeggioUp <c e g c'>

Though it would be preferred to have it be:

<c e g c'>\arpeggioUp

but I haven't looked deeply enough into this. Just saying...