Attaching an alist to a grob

From: Urs Liska
Subject: Attaching an alist to a grob
Date: Tue, 13 Jan 2015 19:27:42 +0100

Hi list,

I'm working on a music function/engraver combination. The music function has to attach information to a grob to pass it on to the engraver.

I found that an alist is the appropriate data type for the information, so I need a way to attach an alist to a grob in a music function. I made it to work smoothly, but I'm quite positive that hijacking the 'details property for that purpose is completely inacceptable.

One problem is that the function doesn't necessarily take a ly:music? argument but can also work on the grob name and issue a \once \override command, so I don't see a chance to get hold of the grob and at least append my alist to 'details (which I suppose wouldn't hurt LilyPond).

So does anyone have an idea how I can attach an alist to a grob so that an engraver can retrieve it?
Is it for example possible to add an arbitrary property to a grob?

TIA
Urs