Re: Score and parts template

From: Phil Holmes
Subject: Re: Score and parts template
Date: Sun, 11 Jan 2015 12:29:12 -0000

----- Original Message ----- From: "James Harkins" <address@hidden>
To: "Phil Holmes" <address@hidden>; <address@hidden>
Sent: Sunday, January 11, 2015 12:18 PM

On January 11, 2015 8:06:55 PM "Phil Holmes" <address@hidden> wrote:

So I assume the clarinet in A (which I'd missed) has a lower range than the Bb?

Clarinets in Bb and A have the same written range, extending down to the E below middle C. This note sounds as concert D on the Bb clarinet, and concert C# on the A clarinet.

Whilst checking this, I noticed that you have no key sig: think \global should still have a key sig of c \major, and then the clarinet part should have \transpose a, c \global to get its correct signature for the player?

The lack of a key signature is fairly standard practice for contemporary music that is not organized around common practice tonality. E.g., the opening section of The Rite of Spring has no key signatures for any instruments, including the transposing ones. (The score is transposed, and later sections that do have key signatures display transposed key signatures in the transposing instruments. So the absence of key signatures in the first section must be deliberate.)

hjh

I believe that, as a tutorial template, it would be more useful to illustrate how to accommodate key signature indications with transposing instruments, since this remains the norm for most music.

--
Phil Holmes