fastest, easiest way of including fret diagram markups above music?

From: Ryan Clarin
Subject: fastest, easiest way of including fret diagram markups above music?
Date: Mon, 29 Dec 2014 12:03:50 -0600

I am a music teacher who has just converted to lilypond after years of frustrating finale and sibelius usage.  I transcribed a little piece on ukulele with tab and included chord fret diagram markups above the music, but it took me quite a while.

The fret diagram markups was probably the hardest part to find and the longest, even with the copy and paste.  For example, to do a C diagram, I did:

^\markup { \fret-diagram #"w:4;4-o;3-o;2-o;1-3;" } ^C

then I just copied and pasted for G and changed the dot placement.

Is there any way to utilize the built in ukulele fretboard diagrams and tunings to plug those in a little easier? For example, I used the following string to put the C and G chord right on top of the sheet of music for easy reference:

\include "predefined-ukulele-fretboards.ly"
mychords = \chordmode { c g }
<<
\new ChordNames { \mychords }
\new FretBoards { \set Staff.stringTunings = #ukulele-tuning \mychords }

Thanks!

Ryan