Whole measure rests in Compound duple meter

From: Cynthia Karl
Subject: Whole measure rests in Compound duple meter
Date: Wed, 10 Dec 2014 17:38:22 -0600

> On Dec 10, 2014, at 5:02 PM, address@hidden wrote:
>
> Message: 4
> Date: Wed, 10 Dec 2014 13:54:28 -0800
> From: Do something Artistic <address@hidden>
> To: "address@hidden" <address@hidden>
> Subject: FW: Whole measure rests in Compound duple meter
>
> Can't figure out why sometimes these don't go through
>

> From: address@hidden
> To: address@hidden
> Subject: Whole measure rests in Compound duple meter
> Date: Tue, 9 Dec 2014 15:46:14 -0800
>

> Trying to figure out the notation for whole measure rests in 6/8 time. My
> work around right now is r2. which seems to fill up the measure but I find
> this aesthetically unpleasant. Is there another way.

I think the following is succinct and correct:

        * the notation for a whole measure rest in a time signature of m/n,
e.g., 6/8 or 5/4 or even 4/4,is:  R1*m/n
           (the fraction m/n can be reduced to lowest terms, and if the result
is 1, it can be eliminated.)

        * for a sequence of k whole measure rests in a row, the notation is:
R1*m/n*k

Examples:       *  a whole measure rest in \time 6/8 is R1*6/8, or,
equivalently, R1*3/4
                        *  a sequence of 3 whole rests in \time 6/8 is R1*6/8*3