Re: would 'gn' for G-natural be useful in \language "english" ?

From: Keith OHara
Subject: Re: would 'gn' for G-natural be useful in \language "english" ?
Date: Tue, 9 Dec 2014 06:43:51 +0000 (UTC)

Paul Morris <paul <at> paulwmorris.com> writes:

> Keith OHara wrote
> >
> > I'm proposing \language"abbreviated"
>
> +1 for adding an opt-in way to use 'cn' (etc.) via another version of the
> 'english' input language.  This allows for use of this helpful form of
input
> without confusing new users who still haven't learned LilyPond's input
> syntax (which I believe was the main objection to modifying 'english'
> itself).

The proposed \language "abbreviated"  met resistance, arguing that it is
a worse choice than adding 'bn' to \language "english", and that any
use of 'bn' in LilyPond implies some distinction to 'b' that LilyPond
does not preserve.

Nevertheless, written English uses -natural in a systematic way
https://archive.org/stream/wellknownpianoso00wilkrich/
wellknownpianoso00wilkrich_djvu.txt
and I find that helpful in typing LilyPond, so I am taking Michael Ellis'
suggestion to use an include file containing the note names I use

pitchnames = #`(
                (cff . ,(ly:make-pitch -1 0 DOUBLE-FLAT))
                (cf . ,(ly:make-pitch -1 0 FLAT))
                (c  . ,(ly:make-pitch -1 0 NATURAL))
                (cn . ,(ly:make-pitch -1 0 NATURAL))
%% et cetera
#(ly:parser-set-note-names parser pitchnames)