Re: Including a logo on the title page of a book

From: Johan Vromans
Subject: Re: Including a logo on the title page of a book
Date: Fri, 5 Dec 2014 08:27:16 +0100

On Thu, 4 Dec 2014 12:32:31 -0700 (MST)
John McWilliam <address@hidden> wrote:

> I'm compiling a collection of pipe tunes and would like to include a logo
> in the center of the title page under the heading. [...]

Personally, I've given up long ago to try including logos and other
stationary this way.

Given that there are many tools that produce nicely formatted PDF documents
and that sooner or later I want them to include stationary as well, I went
for a different approach: I wrote a small tool that postprocesses the PDF
document and inserts the desired objects while copying the pages. Such a
tool is quite straightforward to write and easy to use and adjust.

The advantages of this approach: insert whatever you like (headings,
logos, titles, page numbers, footers), works with any PDF document.
Disadvantage is that you have to write/clone/adapt the tool for each job.
However, that may turn out to be a lot easier than trying to convince the
PDF or PS generating program to include your objects exactly the way you
want.

If you're not a programmer type of person, you may give the pdftk toolkit a
try. Its 'background' and 'multibackground' operations may turn out to be
handy.

-- Johan