Shortened line containing second time repeat volta has problems

From: John McWilliam
Subject: Shortened line containing second time repeat volta has problems
Date: Wed, 3 Dec 2014 15:34:33 -0700 (MST)

The situation is as follows. A pipe tune made up of two parts where each part
is repeated once. The first part has an alternative ending when played the
second time. This appears on a shortened line of its own. The second part
also has an alternative ending when play the second time and this matches
the ending of the first part.
I have two problems with this both of which are, in a way, aesthetic but
irritating:
1. I cannot close the second time volta.
2. I cannot eliminate the barline which appears at the end of the shortened
second time line.

\score {

    \new Staff  {
    \time 3/4       %adjust time to suit specific tunes
    \bar ".|:"

    % Part 1
        \set Score.repeatCommands = #'(start-repeat)

        \repeat unfold 4 {a4 a a}

        \set Score.repeatCommands = #'((volta "1"))
        \repeat unfold 4 {a4 a a}
        \break

        \set Score.repeatCommands = #'((volta #f) (volta "2. --1,2")
end-repeat)
        \repeat unfold 4 {a4 a a}
        \bar "||"

        \set Score.repeatCommands = #'((volta #f))
        \stopStaff
        % Increasing the unfold counter will expand the staff-free space
        \repeat unfold 6 {
          s4 s4 s4
        }
%      \once \hide Score.BarLine
       \startStaff  % Resume bar count and show staff lines again
       \break

    % Part 2
        \set Score.repeatCommands = #'(start-repeat)
        \repeat unfold 4 {a4 a a }

        \set Score.repeatCommands = #'((volta "1"))
        \repeat unfold 4 {a4 a a }
        \set Score.repeatCommands = #'((volta #f) end-repeat)
}%end staff
}%end score

-----
John McWilliam