Re: Possible Bug with \partcombine?

From: Keith OHara
Subject: Re: Possible Bug with \partcombine?
Date: Thu, 27 Nov 2014 08:00:00 +0000 (UTC)

Joshua Nichols <josh.d.nichols <at> gmail.com> writes:

> I was recently typesetting a song, using part combine, from a hymnal. I ran
into a problem: everytime I ran \partcombine, I found that "unterminated
slur" and "cannot end slur," were common warnings. I was confused, and so I
created this small snippet that should reproduce the same issues.\version
"2.18.2"

I would call it a limitation of the design \partcombine.
\partcombine takes its two inputs and combines them when possible
into one LilyPond Voice.  The resulting music goes through the
rest of LilyPond as usual, and in this case a pair of slurs starts
when \partcombine has produced two Voices, and ends when it only
has one (differnt) Voice holding the chords, so the slurs are left
dangling.

\partcombine on its own is smart enough to avoid switching from
separate stems to chords in the middle of a slur, but when we need
to override its choices, we need to take over completely.

The simplest solution here is to keep the voices separate through
the slurs

two = {
 b a b \partcombineApart c'( b) \partcombineAutomaticOnce a b( c')
 \partCombineAutomatic }