Re: Am I misunderstanding the NullVoice?

From: Andrew Hawryluk
Subject: Re: Am I misunderstanding the NullVoice?
Date: Wed, 19 Nov 2014 08:57:27 -0700

Thanks! I like finding bugs that have already been fixed.
Andrew

On Wed, Nov 19, 2014 at 1:02 AM, Pierre Perol-Schneider <address@hidden> wrote:
Hi Andrew,
Looks strange; could be a bug since it does the job with v2.19.
Anyway here's a workaround (but you'll get warnings) :

\version "2.18.2"

soprano = \relative { g'4. a8 g8( f) d4 }
alto = \relative { c'8( d) e4 d b }
aligner = \relative { c'8( d) e4 g8( f) d4 }
words = \lyricmode { pea -- nut but -- ter}

\new Staff <<
  \new Voice { \voiceOne \soprano }
  \new Voice { \voiceTwo \alto }
  \new Devnull = "aligner" \aligner
  \new Lyrics \lyricsto "aligner" \words

HTH,
Pierre

Hi everyone, I just upgraded to 2.18.2 to use the cool new NullVoice. It seems like a slick solution to polyphonic lyric alignment. Unfortunately, I seem to be doing something wrong, because I am getting two syllables printed right on top of each other (see attached PNG). In this example, I want each syllable to arrive on a beat, which you see if you change the NullVoice to a Voice.

Thanks for your thoughts!
Andrew

\version "2.18.2"

soprano = \relative { g'4. a8 g8( f) d4 }
alto = \relative { c'8( d) e4 d b }
aligner = \relative { c'8( d) e4 g8( f) d4 }
words = \lyricmode { pea -- nut but -- ter }

\new Staff <<
  \new Voice { \voiceOne \soprano }
  \new Voice { \voiceTwo \alto }
  \new NullVoice = "aligner" \aligner