Combining Multimeasure rests

From: Urs Liska
Subject: Combining Multimeasure rests
Date: Mon, 10 Nov 2014 18:47:08 +0100

Hi all,

I'm trying to get the combination of consecutive MultiMeasureRests working but got stuck.

I have the function combineMMRests from
http://lilypond.1069038.n5.nabble.com/new-snippet-combine-multimeasure-rests-td144688.html

which works pretty well usually, but it doesn't merge rests when "something" is between them, even if that "something" is actually "nothing".

Consider the attached files.
Uncommenting one of the lines in the music expression causes either a \barNumberCheck or an empty music function to happen between the two rests, with the result of not merging them properly.

As far as I can see the problem is in the combinable-rest? predicate defined in the .ily file. I assume what I'd want is extending the list of cases where this predicate returns true by some more (currently the barnumber checks and empty music expressions returned by a function. Of course it may be that I'd find more cases in the future, but for now that would be it.

So I think my question is: is there a way to test if a list element is the result of an empty music function?

Thanks for any hints, explanations or improvements.
Urs