Re: Vertical brackets with text around chords

From: David Nalesnik
Subject: Re: Vertical brackets with text around chords
Date: Fri, 7 Nov 2014 14:19:13 -0600

Hi all,

Ideally, for this sort of thing there should be a special grob.  This grob could also encompass the very common piano notation that shows that a note ought to be taken by the other hand (the bracket with one wing).

The attached file creates a basic grob, which I've called PianoBracket.  Note that you can override its various properties like any other grob.  (I've shown some of what you can do in the file.)  The vertical extent of the brackets might be changed through PianoBracket.positions.  (Which function is lifted from the arpeggio code...differentiation can come later.)

The method for creating this is based on the regression test input/regression/scheme-text-spanner.ly.

Note that what I've done here is not orthodox--it's "messing with internals" as LilyPond currently has no user interface for building new grobs.  (You will get errors talking about redefinition of properties if you compile multiple files at once using this engraver.)

Anyway, hope this proves useful!

--David