Re: Piano voices

From: Urs Liska
Subject: Re: Piano voices
Date: Fri, 07 Nov 2014 17:33:44 +0100

Am 07.11.2014 17:20, schrieb Joram:
Hi Urs,

thanks a lot for these detailed explanations. I will have to think about
it. I probably prefer to do it according to standards.

What do you mean by? 'be' a strong opinion?

This answer can also "only" a strong opinion.

Oops. Of course. What I mean is: In this kind of discussion you are more often than not faced with questions that can't be decided by proof. So often there are cases where you have to rely on your experience and intuition. (This becomes even harder when you have to deal with manuscripts or - even "worse" - with a manuscript *and* an edition). A good editor will do the best to make his decisions transparent. The goal of a good edition is two-fold:
a) provide the performer with a text he can follow with good conscience
b) give the performer the information that allows him to make differing conclusions and play differently. I have to say that in the case of our Fried songs edition I had the paradox situation that as a performer I decided to "override" my decisions as an editor.

You have no objections to voice switchings like in the right hand from
measure 24 to 25?

No. You *could* argue that the octaves in m. 24 belong to the "blue" voice.
But this is piano music, no vocal music, so the notion of voices is actually rather weak.

Best
Urs

Cheers,
Joram