Re: Lilypond 2.16 and 2.18 incompatibility for \relative without absolut

From: Mark Veltzer
Subject: Re: Lilypond 2.16 and 2.18 incompatibility for \relative without absolute note outside the score
Date: Tue, 4 Nov 2014 16:02:21 +0000 (UTC)

Unfortunately I cannot use convert-ly, since on a large project such as I am
working on I am using an extra pre-processor before handing out the output
to lilypond.
This means that my "source" files are not in lilypond format but only
contain snipplets of lilypond code.
I actually imagine that every large scale lilypond project would do
something like this.
You can check this out at https://github.com/veltzer/openbook
What I'm basically saying here is that the whole approach of convert-ly is
dubious since it assumes that people are using lilypond a certain
straightforward way.
I understand the motivation of convert-ly: it allows you guys to break
backwards compatibility. But you are still breaking backwards compatibility
and it hurts.
A better way would have been to make the new lilypond support more features
but retain old behaviour until old behavior goes away gradually.
If that was the case I would not need to edit my files.

Cheers,
   Mark