Re: Fortran library for generating LilyPond code

From: Gilberto Agostinho
Subject: Re: Fortran library for generating LilyPond code
Date: Sat, 1 Nov 2014 12:10:49 -0700 (PDT)

Hi Urs,

Thanks for your reply, I really appreciate it.

Urs Liska wrote
> It's perfectly reasonable to go that route. There are contexts where it
> may be preferable to have everything encapsulated in a LilyPond/Scheme
> "application" while in others it is better to have generated .ly files
> as a *persistent* intermediate state.

Indeed, when you want to create a persistent state that can be tweaked, this
approach of mine is quite handy. But also I find it much easier to deal with
compositional aspects in a separate code than my final scores.

In case you or anyway is interested, here are some samples of my own work
generated using this Fortran library (and as I mentioned before, there was
absolutely no tweaking or corrections after the program created the final
.ly file).

http://s7.postimg.org/s83fd887f/Palimpsest_for_chamber_orchestra.png
http://s28.postimg.org/4gcfx408d/Tete_a_tete_for_two_marimbas.png
http://s17.postimg.org/ijhpf8zwv/On_the_Origin_of_Pitches_for_solo_vibraphone.png
http://s21.postimg.org/fkcgbwvif/Composition_for_Nine_Sounds_for_solo_percussion.png
http://s30.postimg.org/5kzu3xz5t/Three_for_flute_alto_flute_and_clarinet.png

Urs Liska wrote
> So it's of course a good addition to have a library for an additional
> language available.

I have been promising myself to properly learn Python and to convert this
library, but I just can't find the time. If this ever happen, then I'll also
upload a Python version of this library, which would be much more useful to
other users (I am one of the last three people in this world who can still
speak Fortran ;) )

Urs Liska wrote
> Ehm, I'm sorry and embarrassed that we still have your post dangling
> somewhere. Maybe this "publication" is an appropriate opportunity to
> pick that up ...

No worries about it, Urs. I guess that if would still be interested in
something similar to that post, probably the best would be to rewrite the
whole thing. I think I could do much better today :)

Thanks again for the encouraging words, and take care,
Gilberto