Re: Using \partcombine with explicit voices

From: Urs Liska
Subject: Re: Using \partcombine with explicit voices
Date: Tue, 21 Oct 2014 11:49:05 +0200

Am 20.10.2014 22:03, schrieb Urs Liska:

Am 20.10.2014 21:39, schrieb Abraham Lee:
Urs,

On Mon, Oct 20, 2014 at 1:30 PM, Urs Liska <address@hidden> wrote:
Yes, that's (unfortunately) correct. I have (say) two flute parts that will be printed individually in parts. But in the score they should be combined (which is what \partcombine should be good for ...). But for some reasons I have to enclose the flute parts in explicit voices, and this doesn't seem to work with \partcombine. % fluteI c'' { c1 ~ } two = \relative c'' { c1 } fluteI = \new Voice { \one \two } etc. the \new Voice construct is necessary to enable the tie in this example. I have no clue if I can get out of this situation with real hassles. Therefore I asked if there's a way to "extract" the plain music _expression_ out of \fluteI here. Best Urs

Do you have to make the voice explicit? When I changed your example to just

fluteI = {
  \one
  \two
}

{ \fluteI }

it works just as it did without the "\new Voice". This could be from the simplicity of the example, but it makes me curious.

Hm, it seems I have to look into the issue again.
I see what you mean. But I'm sure I did test the set-up earlier. This is indeed quite complex (maybe too complex), and we have a few things that don't really behave the way we'd expect them (i.e. things that compile differently (or not at all) in the score than in an individual part).

Maybe there's another place where I can tweak the set-up ...

Hey Abraham, you saved my day.
Actually I could remove the \new Voice command in one file (concat-segments.ily ...), and my score still compiles correctly. Now I seem to be confronted with "only" the usual issues with using \partcombine.

Hmm, I'm absolutely sure that in the beginning of the project I tested this concatenation approach and got the result that I had to enclose each part in an explicit Voice context ...

Best
Urs

Best
Urs