Re: Thanks to David Nalesnik and Jan-Peter Voigt

From: David Nalesnik
Subject: Re: Thanks to David Nalesnik and Jan-Peter Voigt
Date: Sun, 28 Sep 2014 16:24:35 -0500

Hi Jay,

On Sun, Sep 28, 2014 at 3:29 PM, Jay Vara <address@hidden> wrote:
David,

If I use the compound meter which has a (1 4) as one of the moments, it does not work. It seems to be treated as a (2 4). Actually, I think the Completion_heads_engraver may be the one with a problem. I checked by varying the music and for situations where the Completion_heads_engraver did not  have to create a tie in the (1 4) measure, it was OK.

meter = #'((7 4) (1 4) (2 4))

This makes my head hurt, and my reasoning may need straightening out...

Taking a shorter example:

 meter = #'((3 4) (2 4))

used with

music = {
  \compoundMeter #meter
  \relative c' {c1 c4}
}

suggests to me that the problem happens when the engraver doesn't successfully reset the meter.

The log for the above values is:
bnum = 1 measurelength #<Mom 5/4>
bnum = 2 measurelength #<Mom 3/4>
bnum = 2 measurelength #<mom 1/2>
bnum = 3 measurelength #<Mom 1/2>

So measureLength of the first bar is 5/4--that is, the sum of the terms of the compound meter, which is what was assigned by \compoundMeter #meter. The meter has not been reset.

There needs to be a second note within the proposed first division of 3/4 for the new meter to take effect.

meter = #'((3 4) (2 4))

\relative c' {c2 c2}

The log shows that the measureLength of the first measure is reset:

bnum = 1 measurelength #<Mom 5/4>
bnum = 1 measurelength #<Mom 3/4>
bnum = 2 measurelength #<Mom 3/4>
bnum = 2 measurelength #<mom 1/2>

At the moment, my head is too tangled up to do something positive with this information.  I hope it will help, in any case.

--David.