Long stretch in one voice, then two

From: Knute Snortum
Subject: Long stretch in one voice, then two
Date: Sat, 27 Sep 2014 10:44:01 -0700

This question may be a matter of style, or there may be a command I'm missing.

I have a piano piece that starts with the right hand in one voice for a long stretch (about 20 bars).  It then breaks into mostly two voices.

One way to do this is to use temporary voices.  The disadvantage is long passages in brackets (matter of style).  The other is to have to voices for the right hand where the lower voice is silent for 20 bars.  But then the music in the beginning has stems up and rests raised.  I can use \stemNeutral \tieNeutral, etc., but is there a \voiceNeutral?  \voiceNeutralStyle is something else, I find.

This illustrates what I'm talking about:

%%% -- Start
\version "2.18.2"
\relative c'' {
<<