Re: Emacs & Lilypond-mode: view PDF

From: Antonio Gervasoni
Subject: Re: Emacs & Lilypond-mode: view PDF
Date: Thu, 25 Sep 2014 09:24:42 -0700 (PDT)

Hi Jacques!

First, I tried following the installation instructions inside the tar.gz
file that is provided for Mac at the xpdf website. The instructions I
followed were these:

1. Copy the executables (xpdf, pdftotext, etc.) to to /usr/local/bin.

2. Copy the man pages (*.1 and *.5) to /usr/local/man/man1 and
   /usr/local/man/man5.

3. Copy the sample-xpdfrc file to /usr/local/etc/xpdfrc.  You'll
   probably want to edit its contents (as distributed, everything is
   commented out) -- see xpdfrc(5) for details.

As that didn't seem to work, I removed everything and then tried the
pre-compiled binary (.dmg) that can also be found there. However, when I
looked inside the folders, I found the executables had not been installed.
Therefore, I removed all the files again so now everything is like it was
before my first attempt.

This morning I have re-read the installation instructions copied above and
discovered something intriguing. The first point says "Copy the executables
(xpdf, pdftotext, etc.)..." however, there is no xpdf executable inside the
tar.gz file. A quick search on Google shows that other users have had the
same problem (even when compiling xpdf themselves). Could that be the source
of my problem?

For the moment, I found a workaround. I opened the Lilypond-mode.el file and
changed "xpdf" for "open" on line 346. This way, Preview is being called
instead of xpdf.

Any suggestions?

Best,

Antonio