Rest with tie behaving differently than note

From: David Bellows
Subject: Rest with tie behaving differently than note
Date: Sun, 14 Sep 2014 09:58:53 -0700

In the following code Lilypond correctly creates the tie to the note even when it's left out (a tie just to a duration):

\version "2.19.13"
\score{
  \new Staff {d4~ 16}
}

But if you try to do this with a rest:

\version "2.19.13"
\score{
  \new Staff {r4~ 16}
}

It prints a note (middle C) instead of that second rest. Putting the rest in manually works, of course, but that doesn't help me. I'm generating thousands of scores automatically I need this behavior to be consistent whether there's a rest or a pitch specified (otherwise I'll have to find some less pleasant way to avoid that situation in the first place.)

And for some reason in my generated score the rest tied to a naked duration causes a seg fault but in my short example it compiles but just not as expected. Adding the second rest in manually to my generated score then it compiles as expected.

Thanks