Re: Another humble question, this is about \skip

From: Colin Campbell
Subject: Re: Another humble question, this is about \skip
Date: Sat, 13 Sep 2014 13:50:31 -0600

On 14-09-13 01:21 PM, Son_V wrote:
Hi, first I want to thank all that have answered to my latest message (I've
ordered on Amazon "Behind Bars: The Definitive Guide to Music Notation", to
have an authoritative source).

I have encountered a problem with a test score that I'm unable to solve. I
attach an image:

<http://lilypond.1069038.n5.nabble.com/file/n166379/Appunti_TE.jpg>

  I want that "st" goes to the last note in beat 1. I've tried and searched
for infos on \skip, but I was unable to get what I would. the code for the
lyrics is

PartPOneVoiceOneLyricsOne =  \lyricmode { Fir -- \skip4 \skip4 st }

What am I missing? Thanks.

You should be exploring melismata. The Learning Manual on the LilyPond website is a good place to start, in Section 2.3.2, and the Notation Reference Section 2.1.1 will expand on the topic.

More generally, you would do well to take a bit of time and work through the Learning Manual, as it will give a good overview on how things are described and named in LilyPond. It will ease the challenge of trying to convert musicXML into lilypond code. Were you using the musicxml2ly program which is part of the lilypond distribution?

Cheers,
Colin

--
I've learned that you shouldn't go through life with a catcher's mitt on both
hands.