Re: Creating new fonts with FontForgeErreur

From: Abraham Lee
Subject: Re: Creating new fonts with FontForgeErreur
Date: Fri, 12 Sep 2014 17:36:19 -0006

On Fri, Sep 12, 2014 at 11:10 AM, Pierre Perol-Schneider <address@hidden> wrote:
Hi,

Since Abraham has done a wonderful job with his new fonts, I wanted to come back to some font works i started years ago without success (I'm a total newbee with FontForge).
And still, I'm stucked with two issues which are probably caused by some bad settings/options.
Even when simply copying Emmentaler-20.otf, compiling does not work well :
1. LP warning message : "SFNT font table missing for LilyPond"
2. stems stays on the oposit side of noteheads (see enclosed pic)

One thing that I don't understand also is that emmentaler-20.otf is about 165 ko and a FontForge copy of it is only 71 ko.

Any help would be great !
Cheers,
Pierre

Pierre,

You've discovered the difficult truth about the way music fonts are constructed for use in LilyPond. It's more than just putting the glyphs in the right places. There's a lot of correlated data that is used to place and space things correctly. This data is embedded in the font files.

You probably noticed that FontForge told you it was ignoring certain subtables when you opened the Emmentaler one. It took me quite a while to understand how to everything works, but I can make your font work if you want to send me the fontforge files.

With everything I've done, it's not the mechanism inside LilyPond that changed. I simply cracked the code to make fonts work with it and until that mechanism changes, this is how we'll have to do things.

Regards,
Abraham