Re: Adjusting overall vertical spacing (in general)

From: Paul Morris
Subject: Re: Adjusting overall vertical spacing (in general)
Date: Sun, 7 Sep 2014 13:14:26 -0700 (PDT)

Hi Pierre,

If you give it a try, you'll want to use this newer and more flexible
version I just submitted to OpenLilyLib:
https://github.com/PaulMorris/openlilylib/tree/scale-vertical-spacing/notation-snippets/scale-vertical-spacing

As before, it lets you scale all the vertical spacing properties in one go
(well, two):

\scaleVerticalSpacingPageLayout #1.5
\scaleVerticalSpacingInSystems #1.4

Or you can be more specific, scaling different things by different scaling
factors:

\scaleVerticalSpacingPageLayout
#'((all . 1.5)
   (system-system . 1.2)
   (score-system . 1.1)
   (markup-system . 1)
   (score-markup . 1)
   (markup-markup . 1)
   (top-system . 2)
   (top-markup . 1)
   (last-bottom . 1))

\scaleVerticalSpacingInSystems
#'((all . 1.4)
   (staff-grouper . 1)
   (staff . 1.8)
   (chord-names . 1)
   (dynamics . 1)
   (figured-bass . 1)
   (lyrics . 1.2)
   (note-names . 1))

Or you can "drill down" even further:

\scaleVerticalSpacingInSystems
#'((all . 1.4)
   (staff-grouper-staff-staff . 1)
   (staff-grouper-staffgroup-staff . 1)
   (staff-default-staff-staff . 1) ;; same as (staff . 1)
   (chord-names-nonstaff-relatedstaff . 1)
   (chord-names-nonstaff-nonstaff . 1)
   (dynamics-nonstaff-relatedstaff . 1) ;; same as (dynamics . 1)
   (figured-bass-nonstaff-relatedstaff . 1)
   (figured-bass-nonstaff-nonstaff . 1)
   (lyrics-nonstaff-relatedstaff . 1)
   (lyrics-nonstaff-nonstaff . 1)
   (lyrics-nonstaff-unrelatedstaff . 1)
   (note-names-nonstaff-relatedstaff . 1)
   (note-names-nonstaff-nonstaff . 1)
   (note-names-nonstaff-unrelatedstaff . 1))

More specific settings trump more general settings, so you can do things
like:

\scaleVerticalSpacingInSystems
#'((all . 1.4)
   (staff-grouper . 1)
   (lyrics-nonstaff-relatedstaff . 1.2))

This keeps the default staff-grouper spacing, but scales everything else by
1.4, except for lyrics-nonstaff-relatedstaff, which is scaled by 1.2.

Eventually, It would be good to document it more thoroughly.

I also submitted a simplified version of this approach to the LSR (the one
above needs 2.19).  It just uses variables rather than functions to
uniformly scale the properties.  Of course it can be edited for further
fine-tuning.
http://lsr.di.unimi.it/LSR/Item?u=1&id=951

Cheers,
-Paul