Re: texinfo manual?

From: Hwaen Ch'uqi
Subject: Re: texinfo manual?
Date: Tue, 26 Aug 2014 08:07:23 -0400

Gretings,

Have you found a remedy for the problem of broken images in LilyPond's
texinfo manuals? If not, I believe I have found the answer, though at
a slight cost of self-guilt. The images are broken because, as the
manuals are now in a different directory, the file paths of the images
given in the source code no longer work. The easiest solution is to
return the texinfo files to their original directory (which in my case
was /usr/lilypond/usr/share/info) and to modify the LilyPond entries
in your /usr/share/info/dir file to reflect the manuals' new location.
So, for example, if the entry for the notation manual looks something
like this,

* LilyPond Notation Reference: (lilypond-notation).

then you should edit it to look something like this:

* LilyPond Notation Reference: (/usr/lilypond/usr/share/info/lilypond-notation).

(Of course, this may vary slightly depending upon where you installed
LilyPond.) Finally, make ABSOLUTELY CERTAIN that, in the directory
where you have returned the info files, there is still a lilypond
link. In my dired buffer, the full line reads like this:

  lrwxrwxrwx  1 hwaen 1002     35 Mar 17 13:04 lilypond ->
../doc/lilypond/html/Documentation/

Without this symbolic link, which is assumed to exist by the given
path of each png file in the source code of the manuals, you will
still see no images.

So, in sum, the original answer to your question should have been a
lot smoother, and that was merely to put entries in your
/usr/share/info/dir file that acknowledged the existence of the
LilyPond texinfo files and indicated where the texinfo reader could
find them. I am sorry to have initially misdirected you, and I should
have waited until my own emacs was running again before advising you.
If your have further questions, you may write to me off-list, as I
believe the necessary information for Lily users who use texinfo
manuals on emacs has now been covered.

Hwaen Ch'uqi