Re: Ottava overlapping fermata

From: Mark Knoop
Subject: Re: Ottava overlapping fermata
Date: Wed, 20 Aug 2014 13:40:54 +0100

At 13:00 on 20 Aug 2014, Brian Barker wrote:
>At 21:14 19/08/2014 +0200, Pierre Perol-Schneider wrote:
>>>Is there any way to tweak the ottava height? Or is this a bug I
>>>should report?
>>
>>I don't know what Elaine Gould says about this particular case.
>>Personally, I'd move the fermata : ...
>
>She disagrees, I'm afraid:
>"Place the pause further from the stave than other markings stacked
>on the notehead, except for the octave sign" (p.188). Her example has
>a tenuto mark, an accent, a fermata and an ottava bassa - in that
>order.

This is rather missing the point - lilypond already does the correct
ordering in normal circumstances. The (potential?) bug is that when a
cross-staff beam is involved, the ottava sign collides with the fermata.

\version "2.18.2"

upper = \relative c {
  \clef treble
  \key c \major
  \time 2/4
  <>_\markup "correct"
  c8[ d'' \ottava #1 e' f'\fermata] \ottava #0

  <>_\markup "bug"
  \change Staff = "lower"
  c,,,,8[
  \change Staff = "upper"
  d''
  \ottava #1 e' f'\fermata] \ottava #0

  <>_\markup "workaround"
  \change Staff = "lower"
  c,,,,8[
  \change Staff = "upper"
  d''
  \once \override Staff.OttavaBracket.extra-offset = #'(0 . 2)
  \ottava #1 e' f'\fermata] \ottava #0
}

lower = \relative {
  \clef bass