Re: Lilypond and eBooks

From: Phil Holmes
Subject: Re: Lilypond and eBooks
Date: Thu, 7 Aug 2014 07:39:55 +0100

----- Original Message ----- From: "Br. Samuel Springuel" <address@hidden>
To: <address@hidden>
Sent: Wednesday, August 06, 2014 7:52 PM

Like Bart, I'll be using calibre for creating the actual eBook. This eBook will be for internal use and need only be compatible with Kindles, as that's all I expect it to be displayed on.

It seems to me that you don't create an eBook with calibre, but rather use it to convert something you have created to eBook format. What program will you use to actually write the text and import the images?

If each line of the score is to be treated as a separate image, is there a way to cleanly order lilypond to do that? Actually, now that I think about it, there must be, as lilypond-book does something similar. I'll just want the images to be jpg (png actually might be better given a B&W image) rather than eps. The question is how?

I would not have each line as a separate image. Let Lily generate the score itself. For PNG see

http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.18/Documentation/usage/command_002dline-usage

- I would also suggest experimenting with anti-alias-factor to get the quality you want.

Further, what would be the recommended width of each line? I think something naturally sized to the Kindle would be best. Has anyone tried that? If not, what's the simplest way to indicate (and change) the line width of a score so that I can experiment.

See

http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.18/Documentation/notation/paper-size-and-automatic-scaling

for how to adjust paper size and other line-related parameters.

--
Phil Holmes