Re: Proportional-Notation Durations

From: PMA
Subject: Re: Proportional-Notation Durations
Date: Thu, 24 Jul 2014 17:48:24 -0400

Mike Solomon wrote:

On Jul 24, 2014, at 9:08 PM, PMA<address@hidden>  wrote:

PMA wrote:
Thomas Morley wrote:
Hi List.

I'm looking for a LilyPond way to specify note duration
in a Proportional Notation context using exactly _one_
stemless notehead type.

Perhaps the first option is a mid-level horizontal line
extending distance-X from the notehead. (The space
following would indicate silence.)

But I want ask: has anyone done this instead with the
_hairpin_ -- attached to a note-head via pitch params,
tapered to a param-specified length, and filled?

I’ve seen this done with glissandi.
It is possible with any spanner, but glissandi are easier in that they are
already associated with note heads.

Cheers,
MS

Thanks Mike.

Yes, I have a glissandi example, and the layout overall looks good.
But a glissando heads off towards the next _pitch_ -- i.e., not just
horizontally to the Right 'til Dur-time runs out, which is what I want.

I could insert an invisible repeated pitch, I suppose, to fool a gliss
into this direction.  But I'd rather not have to, especially with the
extra metrical fuss required.

BTW, the context for such stuff would be perpetual \cadenzaOn,
with \bar "|" crammed in whenever a simultaneity is imminent.

"Is it worth it, Petee?"

Who knows?
Regards,
Pete