Re: Repeat volta not at beginning of piece doesn't get initial repeat ba

From: John McWilliam
Subject: Re: Repeat volta not at beginning of piece doesn't get initial repeat bar line
Date: Tue, 15 Jul 2014 11:02:27 -0700 (PDT)

Thanks Thomas for your input. I have applied your first alternative - the

simpler one - to a four part piece. This is the classical length of a

march in piping. The enclosed snippet illustrates the result. The end of

the first part looses its repeat barline. I have tried introducing a \bar

":|." at the end of the first part, however, this causes the repeat

barline at the beginning of the second part to be supressed. Using manual

commands instead of the \repeat volta format for the first part doesn't

improve the situation. I feel that we are very close to a solution and

would appreciate any suggestions you may be able to offer.

------------------------------------

\version "2.18.0"

\defineBarLine ".|:-|." #'("|." ".|:" "|.") % needed to allow the

%                                             "volta-hook" mid-line:
#(allow-volta-hook ".|:-|.")

music = \relative c' {
        \key c \major
        \time 4/4
         \bar ".|:"

%Part 1
        \repeat volta 2 {
        a4. a8 b4. b8
        c4. c8 d4. d8
        \break }

%Part 2
        \set Score.repeatCommands = #'(start-repeat)
        e4. e8 f4. f8
        \set Score.repeatCommands = #'((volta "1."))
        g4. g8 a4. a8
        \set Score.repeatCommands = #'((volta #f) (volta "2. --2,4")

end-repeat)
        b4. b8 c4. c8
        \bar ".|:-|."
        \set Score.repeatCommands = #'((volta #f))

        \break

%Part 3
        \repeat volta 2 {
        a4. a8 b4. b8
        c4. c8 d4. d8
        \break }

%% not changed:
%Part 4
        \repeat volta 2 {
        e4. e8 f4. f8
        \set Score.repeatCommands = #'((volta "1."))
        g4. g8 f4.f8
        \set Score.repeatCommands = #'((volta #f))
        }

}% end relative

\score  {
   \new Staff { \music }