Re: Barline at beginning of lines of music.

From: Richard Shann
Subject: Re: Barline at beginning of lines of music.
Date: Sat, 12 Jul 2014 13:15:13 +0100

I think I have it now:

http://www.lilypond.org/doc/v2.18/Documentation/notation/bars#index-bar-lines

"This and other special bar lines may be inserted manually at any point.
When they coincide with the end of a measure they replace the simple bar
line which would have been inserted there automatically. When they do
not coincide with the end of a measure the specified bar line is
inserted at that point in the printed output. "

would perhaps be better explained as:

"This and other special bar lines may be inserted manually at any point.
Each special barline prescribes *three* things - what to show if the
barline occurs at the beginning of a line, what to show when it
coincides with the end of a line and what to show when it comes
elsewhere (ref: definBarline). When they coincide with the end of a
measure they replace the simple bar line which would have been inserted
there automatically. When they do not coincide with the end of a measure
the specified bar line is inserted at that point in the printed output,
according to its position on the line. If two \bar commands come one
after the other, the first is ignored."

I was getting stuck by imagining that \bar literally inserted a barline,
even though I had realized that it did something "smarter".

Richard