Re: Optical spacing -- no more?

From: David Nalesnik
Subject: Re: Optical spacing -- no more?
Date: Fri, 11 Jul 2014 18:03:30 -0500

On Fri, Jul 11, 2014 at 5:18 PM, David Nalesnik <address@hidden> wrote:

On Fri, Jul 11, 2014 at 12:50 PM, Brian Barker <address@hidden> wrote:
At 16:07 11/07/2014 +0006, Abraham Lee wrote:
Maybe just me, but I don't really like the look of that. I see the stems are equidistant, but, at least to me, I feel like it's not balanced and it makes the notehead spacing a little awkward... I'd still rather see the default behavior. But we all can have our preferences :) Not sure if either is "correct".

For what it's worth, Elaine Gould agrees, saying (on p. 41);
In certain cases, spacing should be adjusted to create an illusion of evenness. Adjacent stems 'back to back' can otherwise look too close together. Notes with stems away from each other can look too far apart.

Brian Barker

In the attached example, the unevenness of stem placement is very apparent.  As I remember it (have to dig up an old manual), the SCORE option was a correction for this sort of situation.

Found the manual.  The "STUD" command.  It mentions that engravers typically make stems equidistant in cross-staff beaming situations because the eye tends to notice the uneveness at the beam in the middle.

The attached illustrates what happens with equidistant notes.

--David