Re: Re:Variable length bars (Phil Holmes)

From: Andrew A. Cashner
Subject: Re: Re:Variable length bars (Phil Holmes)
Date: Fri, 27 Jun 2014 08:30:02 -0500

Phil,

You're absolutely right (and I apologize if I suggested you didn't
know that)---as you say, my terms weren't precise either. In medieval
and Renaissance theory, C is tempus imperfectum cum prolatione minore,
"cut C" is tempus imperfectum cum prolatione maiore; in other words,
both are duple meters, one with the "lesser" note values (a semibreve
tactus divided into minims), and one with "greater" note values (a
breve tactus divided into semibreves).

Here's what Richard Rastall says in *Grove Music Online*, s.v. "Time signature":

Some signatures are survivors of the system of proportions and
mensuration signs (see NOTATION, §III, 3(VII), 4(III): [C] s used for
4/4 and [cut C] for 2/2 (also called alla breve). [C] s a relic of the
medieval tempus imperfectum cum prolatione minore, a mensuration where
each long contained two breves and each breve contained two
semibreves. The sign [cut C] is now used to indicate quick duple time,
the beat falling on the minim rather than the crotchet. In medieval
terms the tactus in [C] time fell on the semibreve; in [cut C] time it
fell on the breve.

Best,
Andrew