Re: conditional markup

From: Orm Finnendahl
Subject: Re: conditional markup
Date: Sun, 15 Jun 2014 16:43:57 +0200

Hi David,

thanks a lot for the comment.

Am Sonntag, den 15. Juni 2014 um 16:07:01 Uhr (+0200) schrieb David Kastrup:

> A music function has to return music, period.  Different music may be
> used in different contexts, but a music function cannot return anything
> but music.

Maybe it would be a good idea to extend the sentence in the manual in
the following way:

"... The result a music function returns must be music which is
compatible with the context in which it is called."

> No.  Markup is not music.

I'll probably not mess with markup, then ;-)

I guess to me it would help a lot having an overview about what markup
actually is and what categories exist in lilypond altogether. That
might be too complex to be put into the documentation easily, but
referring to the sources to clear that up is well beyond reach for me
at the moment...

--
Orm