Re: midi note durations

From: karl
Subject: Re: midi note durations
Date: Thu, 29 May 2014 13:31:38 +0200 (CEST)

David Kastrup:
> address@hidden writes:
>
> > David Kastrup:

> >> Huh.  2.19 without further qualification does not make all that much
> >> sense as the development releases are where all the changes happen.  But
> >> then I'm happy that we are not talking about, say, 2.10.2 here.
> >
> > midi2ly gives you
> >
> >  \version "2.14.0"
> >
> > does that make better sense,
>
> I was talking about "2.19" being too unspecific as "2.19.0" is quite
> different from "2.19.8".
>
> For midi2ly, generating up-to-date LilyPond code (for current stable) is
> perfectly fine in my opinion.  When midi2ly is not updated or worked on,
> bumping the version number without changing the actual code, however,
> seems pretty pointless.
>
> > or what version to aim at that gives you a sufficiently modern thing
> > without beeing to much bleeding edge, what's the best balance ?
>
> For music21, the question is a bit more tricky than for LilyPond itself.
> Unless specific features make this desirable, it's probably defensible
> to aim for something like "stable from about 1 year ago".

$ git diff -r 28813130b VERSION  | grep STABLE
-VERSION_STABLE=2.16.2
+VERSION_STABLE=2.18.2

So something like 2.16.0 or 2.18.0 would be a good target. Is there any
difference re. basic note input between thoose two ?

> Minor nitpick: too many spaces for my taste.

Ack, but that can be fixed, and I would rather have the notes assigned
to a voice instead of a staff, or a just a \relative f { ... } instead.

Any best practices ?

Currently I'm doing it like

 Mca = \context Voice = Vca \relative g { ... }

since it helps to define the Voice for vocal music, since then
paralell music works with lyricsto, like:

    \transpose c \pitch_c \new Staff << \Mca \Ba >>
    \lyricsto Vca \Lca

> >> This looks fairly usable.
> >
> > Yes, it is. Is it time to replace midi2ly, or just point to music21
> > for midi->lilypond conversions ?
>
> midi2ly is a small delivered add-on included with LilyPond.  There is a
> genuine use case for that kind of thing, but its quality and maintenance
> considerably water down the deal.

Ack.

> I think that someone™ should check out viable other solutions for Midi
> import/input (Frescobaldi?  Denemo?  Music21?) and then we might try
> updating the manual with recommendations about what may be used
> gainfully for what kind of task.

To do that it would be nice if "someone else" selects, say, 10
midifiles together with pdf's, so we could compare the results.

> At the current point of time, midi2ly is not in the class where we are
> doing our users a favor by not mentioning anything else.

I think that a good goal would be to make the program generate lilypond
code that is user edit friendly. I doesn't nessesarely have to generate
music complete with \header \paper and score block. It might be best
to generaty a music.ily, something to be included in your other
structure.

Regards,
/Karl Hammar

Aspö Data