Re: MIDI dynamics parsing error

From: Simon Albrecht
Subject: Re: MIDI dynamics parsing error
Date: Fri, 16 May 2014 23:32:18 +0200

I recently encountered this problem in a composition of my own and just ignored the warning, because the MIDI dynamics rendition did not have any importance for me.
As a matter of fact, this notation may seem illogical, but there are many occurences of it, and many have asked what it means. I find it pretty straightforward, once you have an idea of its use: With a decrescendo, its meaning is similar to an accent, only perhaps more gentle and espressivo; that is to say, start a little above the dynamic you previously had and return to it by means of a diminuendo. With a crescendo, there is some ambiguity: either you return to the dynamic value from before the crescendo, or you stay where you arrived through the crescendo. Other interpretations may be possible, but I don’t think unambiguity needs to be avoided, since it’s a question of style also: in the 18th century and beginning 19th, dynamics are specified with increasing exactness, but for a long time remain incomprehensive and from later perspective leave gaps, which the performer is required to fill himself. And it would be inadequate to eliminate these seeming inconsequencies, which are typical. As I said, I was very happy to have this in a composition of my own (which was actually kept in some early 19th century style) and it expressed exactly what I meant. So don’t be over-correct :-)

Simon Albrecht