Re: Any advice for getting emacs working with lilypond on MacOsX?

From: Davide Liessi
Subject: Re: Any advice for getting emacs working with lilypond on MacOsX?
Date: Tue, 13 May 2014 20:39:03 +0200

> On Tue, May 13, 2014 at 1:25 PM, Davide Liessi <address@hidden>
> wrote:
>> You should install LilyPond from [1] and then install Frescobaldi
>> through Homebrew with `brew install frescobaldi --without-lilypond`
>> (see [2] for details).
>
> I would recommend this installation method, yes.

The page [1] currently says: "Homebrew: `brew install frescobaldi
--without-lilypond` (if you omit `--without-lilypond`, Homebrew will
install also a copy of LilyPond)".
Should I remove the sentence in brackets or should I add a note inside
the brackets?

>> Or maybe you could remove the dependency of Frescobaldi on LilyPond:
>> after all, both the download page [3] and the install guide [2] advise
>> to install a copy of LilyPond as a separate step; but this depends on
>> what is usually done in Homebrew, so I won't push for this solution
>> further.
>

> I have mixed feelings about this.  I strongly recommend installing the
> LilyPond.app bundle, then using brew install frescobaldi --without-lilypond.
> The reason that the Homebrew formula doesn't do that by default, though, is
> that I wanted to write the formula so that someone could take a pristine
> Homebrew installation, type "brew install frescobaldi", and get a usable
> Fresco installation with all dependencies -- including Lilypond --
> satisfied.
>
> I'm not sure I made the right choice there.  What do you think?

While I was writing the Portfile I changed my mind several times on
this subject, before deciding not to include LilyPond as a dependency.
One of the main reasons was that the ports for LilyPond depended on
TeX Live (details in [2]).

I think that not depending on LilyPond is somewhat an imperfect
solution for a package manager, but requiring to manually install
MacTeX is also imperfect.

Maybe you could ask the Homebrew developers what is the preferred way
to handle this kind of situations.

Best wishes.
Davide

[1]