Re: How to split system?

From: Alexander Kobel
Subject: Re: How to split system?
Date: Wed, 30 Apr 2014 09:30:49 +0200

On 04/30/2014 04:12 AM, Rus wrote:
Hello!
How to make a split system, like in the attached file?

Hi Rus,

this is going to be a few pointers to semi-solutions, that's all I can offer.

The closest I know which can be achieved (fairly) easily is what Simon Bailey used for the coda here:
  http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-user/2013-12/msg01086.html
Although I did not see his code, I assume he used \stopStaff, plus some tweaks like here:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/8213679/lilypond-snippet-for-a-separate-coda

Thomas Morley wrote a more involved approach to allow for braces and brackets, which I only found a few minutes ago when looking for Simon's mail in the archive:
  http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-user/2013-12/msg01027.html
It also works for braces instead of brackets if you change the \addBar invocation (see, e.g., line 344 of the Lily file attached there) to "{" instead of "["; but you need to manually adjust the padding (kerning) and size of the brace. In particular, the approach is not robust to changes in vertical spacing AFAICS.

I am not aware of any clean solution (\stopScore / \startScore, anyone?) that interrupts all staves at once and then redraws the Score-level braces and brackets at an arbitrary point in the system. Also, I do not know whether you can access the positions of the original system braces at a certain point in time to manually draw them with the same settings. I once spent several hours trying to figure out a way to do it, but it's beyond my current knowledge. Which does /not/ mean impossible, of course...

HTH anyway,
Alexander