frescobaldi vs. org-babel-lilypond

From: Steven Arntson
Subject: frescobaldi vs. org-babel-lilypond
Date: Sun, 27 Apr 2014 11:15:02 -0700

I may be getting in over my head with this question. I'm a new user of Lilypond,
transitioning away from Musescore. I've
been using Frescobaldi a bit, and am impressed with it so far.

However, I see there's an Emacs mode available through org-babel called
"Arrange Mode". I'm a user of Emacs (though far from an expert!), and I
love the environment.

Does anyone have familiarity with both, who could highlight a few of the
differences? Frescobaldi has many features I doubt I'll use much (such
as the Quick Insert menu). Mainly what I like about it is the
integration of the windows--text entry, music display, lilypond
messages, and MIDI playback. I wonder if that could be done with a
dedicated Emacs instance.

I think I'm right that one can transpose scores in Frescobaldi? And
maybe not in Arrange Mode. That could be a deciding factor.

Thank you!
Steven Arntson