MIDI files

From: Gilberto Agostinho
Subject: MIDI files
Date: Mon, 14 Apr 2014 05:41:40 -0700 (PDT)

Hello LilyPonders,

I generated a bunch of very short MIDI files (one bar long only) that I want
to play together and loop using Max MSP. All the files have a length
multiple of quarter notes, so in theory I should be able to playback any two
of them together in an infinite loop and they would still have their beats
synchronized. My problem is that this is not happening... Two files of the
same length but with different music content stay synchronized indeed, but
two files of different length do not. I am suspecting that every file is
just slightly shorter or longer than they should, but not proportional to
their lengths (probably a constant time value shorter or longer), thus
creating such a problem. Also, none of my files end with a rest, since
LilyPond's MIDI output always cut the last rests.

Have anyone experienced anything quite like this? I would really appreciate
any suggestions. I also tried to generate MIDI files with other music
programs as well, and so far nothing really worked out, all MIDI files I got
so far show the same problem (but curiously enough, the amount of
shortening-extending depends on the program being used to generate them!).

Thanks a lot. Regards,
Gilberto