Re: Question about FretBoards context

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Question about FretBoards context
Date: Sun, 06 Apr 2014 11:00:16 +0200

Pierre Perol-Schneider <address@hidden> writes:

> Thanks Fedrico, but still I don't get it.
> The FretBoards reference page says (
> http://www.lilypond.org/doc/v2.18/Documentation/internals/fretboards) :
> "This context creates the following layout object(s): FretBoard, etc."
> So ?
> Should I consider this as a bug ?

Should you consider _what_ a bug?

There is a context called FretBoards that tends to work with grobs
called FretBoard.  Apparently this confuses you more than a context
called Voice that tends to work with grobs called NoteHead, Stem,
Accidental and so on.

There is not really a bug, but there might be a less than helpful naming
scheme.  Replace FretBoards with FretBoardStaff or FredBoardHolder in
your head and FretBoard with FretBoardItem and try reading the
documentation again with that distinction in mind.

Note that

\new FretBoards { \override FretBoard.whatever ... }

is equivalent to

\new FretBoards { \override Bottom.FretBoard.whatever ... }

and thus to

\new FretBoards { \override FretBoards.FretBoard.whatever ... }

The 2.16 syntax is probably more helpful in this case: there we have

\new FretBoards { \override FretBoard #'whatever ... }

equivalent to

\new FretBoards { \override Bottom.FretBoard #'whatever ... }

and

\new FretBoards { \override FretBoards.FretBoard #'whatever ... }

My original pitch at the new syntax was to have

\new FretBoards { \override FretBoard whatever ... }
\new FretBoards { \override Bottom.FretBoard whatever ... }
\new FretBoards { \override FretBoards.FretBoard whatever ... }

but people hated that.  And it's somewhat uglier for function arguments.

You can actually at the current moment write this alternatively (since
it is a part of backward compatibility with the old syntax), but it does
not transfer to functions like \overrideProperty and so on.

--
David Kastrup